10 Warnings for Leaders Who Struggle With Pride
I struggle with pride. I never knew how much until I began reading Dr. Johnny Hunt’s amazing book Demolishing Strongholds: Finding Victory Over the Struggles That Hold You Back. Pastor Johnny focuses on three primary components: Sex, Greed and Pride. I recommend you pick up a copy by clicking HERE.
I did not know how much pride had a grip on me until I read these words from C.S. Lewis: “If you want to find out how proud you are the easiest way is to ask yourself, ‘How much do I dislike it when other people snub me, or refuse to take any notice of me, or shove their oar in, or patronize me, or show off?’ The point is that each person’s pride is in competition with everyone else’s pride.”
Three things Lewis said convicted me:
- When people snub me.
- When people refuse to take notice of my contributions.
- When I am patronized or demeaned.
I am betting you have your own list of things you struggle with in the area of pride.
As you look at what the Bible says about pride, I want to give you (and me) 10 Warnings for Leaders Who Struggle With Pride:
- “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” – Proverbs 16:8
- “The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.” – Psalm 10:4
- “Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he falls.” – 1 Corinthians 10:11-12
- “Pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverse mouth I hate.” – Proverbs 8:13
- “Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord; though they join forces, none will go unpunished.” – Proverbs 16:5
- “Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.” – Proverbs 26:12
- “The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who dwell in the clefts of the rock, who habitation is high; you who say in your heart, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground?’” – Obadiah 1:3
- “Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, him I will destroy; the one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, him I will not endure.” – Psalm 101:5
- “When pride comes, then comes shame; but with the humble is wisdom.” – Proverbs 11:2
- “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” – James 4:6
I have to deal with pride. I do not want God opposing me and my leadership efforts. That is a battle I will never win.
This article originally appeared here.