Full-time Senior Pastor to replace retiring current Senior Pastor for a multi-cultural, multi-generational, Dispensational, Bible-based, discipleship-focused church in Central New Jersey.
- Denomination: Independent Bible Church
- Church Size: 225-300 Attendees
- The applicant must be male (derived from 1 Timothy 2:12 and 3:2-7);
- The applicant must hold a graduate degree (M.Div., M.A. in Ministry or equivalent) from a seminary that holds to and teaches a dispensational interpretation of Scripture;
- The applicant must have at least five years’ experience as a pastor and/or chaplain, demonstrating an ability to administrate a church of comparable size to Calvary Bible Church (CBC);
- The applicant must affirm in writing his unreserved agreement with the CBC Constitution and By-Laws, including our Statement of Faith (CBC Constitution and By-Laws, Sec. C.1.a) and our stance on cessation of sign gifts and Dispensationalism; and
- The applicant must complete the doctrinal questionnaire below.
The full position description is below:
Calvary Bible Church Position Description – Senior Pastor
Summary Description: Under authority of the Scriptures, the Senior Pastor of Calvary Bible Church is a male (1 Timothy 2:12-3:7), who will give an account for the souls of his people (Hebrews 13:17). He will lead the pastoral staff and the church body to exemplify Christ in their home, church, and community. He is responsible for equipping the body of all ages and of all stages of spiritual formation to have an opportunity to become devoted followers of Jesus the Christ. He will foster a small group culture where people are led to Exalt God, to be Equipped, to Engage their gifts, and to Evangelize the lost (The 4E’s).
Hours: Full Time
Reports To: Official Board/Church body
Schedule and work location: Four day work week, primarily in the office, and also on Sunday. The Executive Committee (comprised of the Senior Pastor, Elder Chair, and Deacon Chair) will determine days in office during the week. In addition, attendance at relevant meetings, one-on-one mentoring/coaching, and events is required.
- Pastoral Duties:
- Worship – Exalt God
- Preach weekly, usually ten times per quarter
- Keep 4E’s and the small group format/model alive and vibrant in preaching/teaching
- Performs ordinances: communion and baptism
- Leads weekly staff meetings and prayer time
- Chairs Official Board meetings and serves on the Elder Board
- Chairs all business meetings
- Ex-Officio member of all committees
- Oversees church meetings and sets agendas
- Supervises office staff
- Oversees Facebook and Web page
- Oversees implementation of 4E’s discipleship process of developing the lay leaders of small groups, building their ministry capabilities, holding them accountable for their 4E Discipleship Strategy, and ministering to them as a pastor
- Oversees current and future church plants
- Strategy and Planning
- Partners with Elder Board to develop vision, strategy, and goals
- Partners with Deacon Board to develop resource plans: personnel, finances, and facilities
- Communicates in a professional and Christ-like manner
- Visit those in need: shut-ins, hospitals, nursing homes, jail
- Be prepared to share the gospel when the door is open
- Counseling – Equipping
- Uses the sufficiency of the Word of God to assist those in need
- Serves as pastoral oversight to Oasis Biblical Counseling Center
- Mentoring – Equipping
- Train and develop associate pastors and office staff
- Monthly meetings with associate pastors to review performance, receive status updates, etc.
- Reviews goals and objectives of associate pastors and office staff
- Worship – Exalt God
- Additional Duties
- Works with Executive Committee as necessary
- Meets with Deacons on budget, building, and as necessary
- Meets with other ministry heads or organizations as needed
Gifts, skills, passion:
- Embraces CBC’s doctrinal views with instincts that match CBC’s ministry philosophy and a good fit with the overall ministry team
- Strong theological and doctrinal understanding
- Exhibits a spiritual maturity and balance in his personal life that is based on maintaining a private devotional time of study, self-examination, prayer; physical exercise and mentoring, and confirmed by a Spirit-filled walk, Godly home life, a love of people, and humility in service to others
- Possess a broad knowledge related to worship, small groups, discipling, mentoring, assimilation and leadership development
- Demonstrated leadership skills that can coach, direct, inspire, and empower volunteer leadership teams on several different levels
- A person with an equipping heart of a coach who is more interested in seeing other people have a great ministry than he is in others seeing him do great ministry
- Possess the heart, intention, and ability to conduct CBC’s 4E’s strategy by providing pastoral oversight and leadership as he develops and directs the congregation within the context of small groups
Direct Reports: Associate pastors, currently administrative office staff
Education Requirements: Minimum of M. Div. or other conservative seminary degree of equal or higher theological standard, Ph. D. or Th. D. preferred.
Experience Requirements: Minimum of five years’ experience as a Pastor/Chaplain demonstrating an ability to administrate a church of a comparable size to CBC. Counseling experience and proven track record of leadership of a staff of at least four.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Applicants please include the following documents with your application:
- Current resume
- Salvation testimony
- Completed doctrinal questionnaire (below)
- Signed Agreement with CBC Statement of Faith (below)
Please send completed application packets and any questions to [email protected]
Church Website: www.calvarybiblechurchnj.org
Calvary Bible Church 2018 Doctrinal Questionnaire – Senior Pastor (Please complete fully)
1. Contact Information
- Current Church/Address:
- Telephone Number(s):
- Email Address:
2. Please explain your doctrinal views on each of these topics (a response is required for each item):
a. The Bible
b. The Trinity
c. God the Father
d. The Lord Jesus Christ
e. The Holy Spirit
i. The Eternal Security and Assurance of Salvation
j. Separation (Ecclesiastical and Personal)
l. The Church
m. The Personality of Satan
n. Believers’ Water Baptism
o. The Lord’s Supper
p. The Ministry and Spiritual Gifts
- What is your belief regarding the purpose of spiritual gifts?
- What spiritual gifts do you possess?
- What is your belief regarding prophecy, signs and wonders, tongues, and miracles?
q. What is your belief regarding the role of men and women in the local church ministry and positions they may hold?
r. Please outline your thoughts/beliefs regarding the following topics:
- Dispensational Hermeneutics
- Reformed Theology
- Covenant Theology
3. Please provide a short testimony of your salvation experience.
4. Anything else that we should know about you?
5. Do you have any other comments or questions about Calvary Bible Church?
If you have any questions regarding this questionnaire, do not hesitate to contact the Pulpit Nominating Committee ([email protected]).
Thank you and may God bless you in your service to Him.
CALVARY BIBLE CHURCH STATEMENT OF FAITH
Extracted from the Calvary Bible Church Constitution and Bylaws
Revised November 20th, 2016
ARTICLE IV – Statement of Faith
Section A – The Holy Scriptures
We believe the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the verbally, fully inspired Word of God; the final authority in all matters of doctrine, faith, and conduct. (II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21; Matthew 5:18; John 16:12-13).
Section B – The Godhead
We believe in one Triune God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – co-eternal in being, co-identical in nature, co-equal in power and glory, and having the same attributes and perfections. (Deuteronomy 6:4; II Corinthians 13:14).
Section C – God the Father
God the Father is the sovereign authority, who is the Father of all creation, who authored the divine decrees, who gave His Son for our redemption and His Holy Spirit for our sanctification, in order to glorify Himself. He is loving and just, “not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (Psalm 139; Deuteronomy 10:14-15; John 17:1-6; 15:26; I Peter 1:16; II Peter 3:9).
Section D – The Lord Jesus Christ
1. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal Son of God, became man, without ceasing to be God, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary, in order that He might reveal God and redeem sinful man. (John 1:1, 2, 14; Luke 1:35).
2. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished our redemption through His death on the Cross as a representative, vicarious, substitutionary sacrifice and that our justification is made sure by His literal, physical resurrection from the dead. (Romans 3:24, 25; I Peter 2:24; Ephesians 1:7; I Peter 1:3-5).
3. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ ascended into heaven, and is now exalted at the right hand of God where, as our High Priest, He fulfills the ministry of representative Intercessor and Advocate. (Acts 1:9, 10; Hebrews 9:24; Romans 8:34; I John 2:1, 2).
4. We believe in the “Blessed Hope”, the personal, imminent, pretribulational and premillennial coming of the Lord Jesus Christ for His redeemed ones; and in the subsequent return to earth with His saints, to establish His Millennial Kingdom. (I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Zechariah 14:4-11; Revelation 19:11-16; 20:1-6; 3:10; I Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9).
Section E – The Holy Spirit
1. We believe the Holy Spirit, a Person of the Godhead, convicts the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment; and that He is the Supernatural Agent in regeneration, baptizing all believers at conversion into the body of Christ, indwelling and sealing them unto the day of redemption.
2. We believe, as the Author and Interpreter of the Holy Scriptures, He is the Divine Teacher Who guides believers into all truth and that it is the joyous responsibility of all believers to be filled with the Spirit. (II Peter 1:20-21; John 12:8-11; II Corinthians 3:6; I Corinthians 12:12-14; Romans 8:9; Ephesians 5:18; I John 2:20, 27; John 16:7-11; Psalm 51:10-11; Titus 3:5; I Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:13).
Section F – Man
We believe that man was created by God in His image and likeness. In Adam’s sin the race fell, inherited a sinful nature, and became alienated from God; and we believe that man is totally depraved and, of himself, utterly unable to remedy his lost condition. (Genesis 1:26, 27; Romans 3:22, 23; Romans 5:12; Ephesians 2:1-3, 12).
Section G – Salvation
We believe that man’s salvation is the gift of God brought to him by God’s grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose precious blood was shed on Calvary for the forgiveness of our sins. (Ephesians 2:8-10; John 1:12; Ephesians 1:7; I Peter 1:18, 19).
Section H – The Eternal Security and Assurance of Believers
1. We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God’s power and are thus secure in Christ forever. (John 6:37-40; 10:27-30; Romans 8:1, 38, 39; I Corinthians 1:4-8; I Peter 1:5).
2. We believe it is the privilege of believers to rejoice in the assurance of their salvation through the testimony of God’s Word; which, however, clearly forbids the use of Christian liberty as an occasion to the flesh. (Romans 13:13-14; Galatians 5:13; Titus 2:11-15).
Section I – The Two Natures of the Believer
We believe that every saved person possesses two natures, with provision made for victory of the new nature over the old nature through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, and that all claims to the eradication of the old nature in this life are unscriptural. (Romans 6:13; 8:12, 13; Galatians 5:16-25; Ephesians 4:22-24; Colossians 3:10; I Peter 1:14-16; I John 3:5-9).
Section J – Separation
We believe that the scripture clearly teaches that it is the will of God for every believer to be set apart by the Word of God, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, unto God; not conformed to the world but fully consecrated to the will of God, thereby, receiving power for holy living and effective service. The Christian is further exhorted to be separate from religious apostasy and binding yokes with unbelievers. (Romans 12:1-2; I Corinthians 6:14-18; II Peter 2:1-3; I John 2:15-17; II John; Jude 3, 4).
Section K – The Ministry and Spiritual Gifts
1. We believe that God is sovereign in the bestowment of all His gifts and that the offices of evangelists, pastors, and teachers are given for the equipping of the saints for the work of service to the building up of the body, and that manifestation sign gifts of speaking in tongues and the working of miracles gradually ceased as the New Testament Scriptures were completed and their authority became established. (I Corinthians 12:4-11; II Corinthians 12:12; Ephesians 4:7-12).
2. We believe that God does hear and answer all prayers of faith in accordance with His own will, including those for the sick and afflicted. (I John 5:14-15; Matthew 21:21-22; James 5:14-15).
Section L – The Church
1. We believe that the church, which is the body and espoused bride of Christ, is a spiritual organism made up of all born-again persons of this present age. (Ephesians 1:22-23; 5:25-27; I Corinthians 12:12-14; II Corinthians 11:2).
2. We believe that the establishment and continuance of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament Scriptures. (Acts 14:27; 20:17, 26-32; I Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-11).
3. Believers, who regularly assemble for worship, praise, prayer, study of the Word, observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, fellowship, enjoy the leadership of pastors, teachers, deacons, and evangelists, constitute a local church. (Matthew 16:16-18; Ephesians 1:22; Ephesians 5:25-27; Colossians 1:18; I Corinthians 12:12-13; Acts 2:42-47; John 14:1-3; Philippians 1:6; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Titus 2:11-14).
Section M – The Personality of Satan
We believe that Satan is a person, the author of sin, and the cause of the fall, that he is the open and declared enemy of God and man and that he shall be eternally punished in the Lake of Fire. (Job. 1:6-7; Isaiah 14:12-17; Matthew 4:2-11; 25:41; Revelation 20:10).
Section N – The Eternal State
1. We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men: the saved to eternal life, and the unsaved to judgment and everlasting punishment. (Matthew 25:46; John 5:28-29; 11:25-26; Revelation 20:5, 6, 12, 13).
2. We believe that the souls of the redeemed are, at death, absent from the body and present with the Lord, where in conscious bliss they await the first resurrection when spirit, soul, and body are reunited to be glorified forever with the Lord.
3. We believe that the spirits of unbelievers remain, after death, in conscious misery until the second resurrection when with soul and body reunited they shall appear at the great White Throne Judgment and shall be cast into the Lake of Fire, not to be annihilated, but to suffer everlasting conscious punishment. (Luke 16:19-25; Revelation 20:11-15; Matthew 25:41-46; II Thessalonians 1:7-9; Jude 6-7; Mark 9:43-48; Luke 23:43; II Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:23).
I am in unreserved agreement with the Calvary Bible Church Statement of Faith.