Senior Pastor Overview
The Senior Pastor (SP) is CBF’s chief leader, both spiritually and practically. He is responsible for
casting vision and leading the church in pursuing that vision in dependence on God. Teaching and
shepherding are his other key responsibilities. He manages the staff, and assists with managing volunteer
leaders. The SP is the church’s primary teacher, especially for worship services and special events. He
disciples staff and elders, who in turn disciple other leaders, who then shepherd the congregation and
others reached by CBF’s ministries. The SP serves as CBF’s primary spokesman and representative in
the community and among other ministries.
Senior Pastor Key Responsibilities
1. As CBF’s key leader, be an example in: relationship with God, personal spiritual growth and
maturity, marriage, and family. Make sure these things remain in priority before any other job
2. Lead the people of CBF, with emphasis on staff, elders, and key leaders.
3. Lead and supervise the ministry and operations of CBF with the exception of financial recordkeeping
4. Teach the congregation regularly and systematically as CBF’s chief Bible-teacher. Lead in Sunday
morning service planning and coordination. Lead CBF’s teaching ministry, and train others to teach.
5. Coach/mentor/disciple CBF’s staff with the focus on personal spiritual growth, effective
communication, and coordination among the staff team.
6. Supervise and coordinate the day-to-day work of the staff with the goal of optimizing individual job/
ministry performance, teamwork, unity, cooperation and overall ministry impact.
7. Manage the ministry and operation of the elder board and train and disciple its members.
8. Help coordinate and supervise CBF’s effort to minister to those in need in the church and community
(including counseling, caring for the sick, poor, marginalized, and neglected).
9. Participate in the hands-on work and local outreach of the church.
10. Participate in community ministry (assisting police, schools, community groups, local ministerial
association, etc.) and in CBF’s missions efforts (outside CBF’s sphere of influence).
Senior Pastor Relationships (The SP…)
1. … is directly responsible to, and reports to the elder board.
2. … supervises the Family Pastor, Youth Pastor, and Administrative Assistant. … receives secretarial
and administrative support from the Administrative Assistant.
3. … assists other staff with planning, teaching, training, discipleship, and counseling on an occasional
basis, as needed.
4. … assists and encourages volunteer leaders with their CBF ministries as needed.
Senior Pastor Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a mature, highly motivated follower of Christ with a demonstrated skill and
experience in expository Bible teaching/preaching, leadership, management/administration, and
discipleship. Strong organization, communications, and interpersonal skills are also necessary. At least 5
years in full-time vocational ministry is expected with pastoral experience preferred. A master’s degree
from an accredited evangelical seminary is desirable. Organizational leadership, teaching, management
experience or training in a secular context would be a plus.
The successful candidate will also agree with and adhere to the doctrinal statement of CBF. His lifestyle
will demonstrate consistent spiritual and moral characteristics that are in harmony with scripture and
qualities outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, and 1 Peter 5:2-4. He and his family will relocate to
El Paso, Illinois.
About Community Bible Fellowship
Community Bible Fellowship of El Paso (CBF), founded in 1990, is an evangelical body of believers
whose mission is to transform men, women, and children into wholehearted followers of Jesus Christ. Its
historic key strengths are expository Bible teaching, children and youth ministry, and missions. It is an
elder-led church located in a rural community near Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. It is staffed by three
full-time pastors (Senior, Family, Youth) and a part-time administrative assistant.