Senior Pastor Profile
We are a thriving church on the South Coast of Massachusetts situated between Boston, Providence, and Cape Cod, seeking a passionate leader who exudes a contagious enthusiasm for ministry that others will follow. Over the last year, we have undergone an intentional interim ministry which included a thorough self-¬examination resulting in a clear picture of our core values, our mission, and our vision for the next three years. Our Senior Pastor will be a man who is seminary-trained and groomed through years of church experience. He must be an avid student of God’s Word, able to communicate clearly and relevantly to people of all ages. He will align with our values of authentic worship, biblical teaching, Great Commission impact, loving community, and prevailing prayer. We are looking for a Pastor who will revitalize First Congregational Church and its surrounding communities by training emerging leaders to execute our mission to be intentional followers of Jesus Christ who love unconditionally, serve selflessly, and worship joyfully. We are praying that God calls an experienced evangelical leader who will move into our community, embrace our Congregational form of government, and empower us to share the love of God and good news of the Gospel to people who do not know Jesus.
• Character: Our Senior Pastor will demonstrate biblical faithfulness with a high degree of personal spiritual maturity, reflecting the character of Christ in both his private and public life. He should be transparent and above reproach. He must accept responsibility while exhibiting confident humility and have unconditional love for congregants. If married, he should have a relationship with his wife that exemplifies Christ’s relationship with His church and should maintain a respectful, well-ordered home.
• Leadership: Our Senior Pastor must be a servant-leader who identifies, trains and leads leaders, empowering others to pursue God’s giftedness. He should be willing to lead the church in its’ “Vision 2020” mission, as well as lead the church to envision its’ future. He must be courageous and innovative in pursuing God’s call.
• Preaching: Our Senior Pastor must have a Master of Divinity degree or equivalent from an accredited seminary and have a minimum of 5 years of experience in full-time pastoral ministry and church leadership. He should be able to communicate to people of any age the meaning and insight from Scripture in a way that connects with an audience and effectively leads to learning, understanding, and application. Expository preaching style is preferred, although topical preaching is recognized as both valuable and desirable in some circumstances.
• Ministry: Our Senior Pastor must have experience and comfort in dealing with generational ministries. A grace-oriented approach to doctrinal and theological issues, as well as areas of daily life and practice; not judgmental or legalistic, but frank, with regard to essentials of the faith is important. He must be approachable and able to maintain confidences.
• Missions: A Senior Pastor who is willing to develop a heart for the community of Rochester and the South Coast of Massachusetts is important to our congregation. He would be open to fellowshipping with other NACCC ministers in the area. His passion for evangelism and Missions must be driven by the Great Commission.
About First Congregational Church of Rochester
We are a Christ-centered, Bible-believing church. Our Mission at First Congregational Church of Rochester is to be intentional followers of Jesus Christ who love unconditionally, serve selflessly, and worship joyfully.
Our Core Values
At First Congregational Church, Rochester we value:
• Authentic Worship: We acknowledge God’s supreme value and worth through the centrality of God’s Word in our personal lives and in the corporate worship of our church. (Romans 12:1-2)
• Biblical Teaching: We strive to teach and model God’s Word with integrity, authority, and relevance to people of every age so that they may more fully realize the guidance of the Holy Spirit and mature in Christ. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
• Great Commission Impact: We are committed to effectively communicating the transforming power of Jesus Christ to every nation, every people group, and every social concern, beginning with those closest to us. (Matthew 28:19-20)
• Loving Community: We are committed to sharing our spiritual journey with others by doing all that we can to help every person we encounter to feel at home with us and in our church. (Romans 15:7)
• Prevailing Prayer: We believe that through Jesus Christ we can enjoy personal, intimate access to God through prayer, and that persistent, believing prayer is critical to our effectiveness in carrying out Christ’s mission. (Matthew 7:7-11)
The Pastor’s Relationship with the Vision
The Senior Pastor will work with the Vision Overseers team to act and expand upon its newly created Vision 2020 & Beyond, which includes:
• Heart: Integrating all aspects of the worship experience before and after a person attends a worship service to assure a welcoming, worshiping environment.
• Soul: Connecting and caring for the congregation through regular fellowship and a wide variety of small groups, at church and in the surrounding communities.
• Mind: Overseeing the faithful communication of God’s Word, the spiritual maturity in people, and the identification and training of emerging leadership.
• Strength: Assessing needs and providing identification, training and pathways to ministries within the church, in our communities, and beyond.
The church sits in the center of a rural, agricultural town, with a town population of 5,698.
The church property consists of three buildings. The sanctuary is used for Sunday Worship and church meetings. The Vestry houses the Sunday School classrooms, the pastor and secretary's offices, and has multiple uses for meeting space. The Fellowship Hall is used for suppers, meetings, and other community and church events.