Position Objective: To provide pastoral leadership to worship ministries of Gateway Church
This should reflect whatever mission or vision statement you have.
The Worship Pastor will be the “producer” of each worship service and
special programs. Although the Senior Pastor is the “director” in terms of setting the theme
and overall direction, the Worship Pastor will oversee and coordinate all the details that a
service encompasses. The Worship Pastor must be a visionary who is creative in leading people
to God. The Worship Pastor is a leader who can communicate a direction in a way that inspires
those around him/her to join in the pursuit of that vision. The position is a pastoral one that
therefore requires the individual to serve not solely as a musical or performing arts director but
also as a shepherd to the people who serve in this ministry.
1. A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with
2. Commitment to moral purity
3. Commitment to the mission, Vision, and worship philosophy of Gateway.
4. Demonstrate excellence as a worship leader, i.e. has grown a music ministry over the
past few years?
5. Excellent people, leadership, and organizational skills.
6. An engaging and gracious personality, relational in ministry style.
1. A pastor as well as a musician. This does not mean ordained.
2. A heart for the spiritual formation of those in the congregation and the worship
3. Create an inviting, worshipful atmosphere, where people can encounter God.
4. Relational skills with an enthusiastic presence for leading a church in worship.
5. Skilled in choral, vocal, and instrumental direction.
6. Skilled in organization, administration, and interpersonal relationships.
7. Attract an increasing pool of gifted musicians who desire to be involved in worship at
8. Skilled in the use of technology in worship and in the use of sound, lighting, computers,
Power Point, and video projection.
9. Ability to incorporate other art forms as needed.
10. A self-starter.
11. A team player, assisting other staff members in church wide events when needed with a
1. Spend time developing relationships with lost people to be personally effective in
pursuing the Great Commission and helping the church to do the same. Willing to aid
the growth of the church through community outreach projects as the lead pastor of
2. Build necessary teams to carry out the worship areas.
3. Oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and
lighting enhancements and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and
4. Serve as lead worshiper in all worship services.
5. Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate worship in the services.
6. Provide pastoral care for the worship team and ensemble
7. Develop and oversee a drama team ministry.
8. Introduce our worship teams and ensemble to worship training.
9. Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and volunteers.
10. Set annual goals for the worship ministry that are in line with our vision and then
evaluate how those goals were attained and/or modified during the year.
11. Responsible for the musical and drama side of our Christmas Eve Services.