Morningside Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Children’s Ministries to expand and further develop its children’s education and ministry programs.
Located in Atlanta near Piedmont Park, Morningside Presbyterian Church is a warm and welcoming congregation with deep roots in the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition and active involvement and mission in the local community and beyond. Over the past decade, the Morningside congregation has experienced exponential growth, particularly in its children and family demographic. Morningside has more than 100 children today in its congregation.
Morningside aspires to a dynamic Christian educational experience for its children. The acronym NICE conveys that Morningside seeks a program that Nurtures, Inspires, Connects and Educates and more fully expressed below:
- Nurture stands for caring, inclusion and compassion.
- Inspire is about exciting leadership and programs that lift up our children, youth and families.
- Connect speaks to offerings that sequence and connect across ages — and connect with our families and the congregation.
- Educate means helping children learn and grow in their Christian faith and as individuals.
Our vision is to provide a Children’s Ministry where everyone:
- Feels safe. Everyone is cared for while in our midst. We value our children, staff and volunteers and we use our Child Protection Policy and volunteer trainings to protect all.
- Feels valued. Everyone is a unique child of God. This means we all have opinions and no one will ever be looked down upon for those opinions. All are to be treated fairly.
- Feels loved. Everyone is important, so no one will be put down, ignored or have their feelings intentionally hurt.
- Feels led. Everyone is taught to depend on God, follow Jesus Christ and to be led by the Holy Spirit, while learning Biblical truths.
The Morningside Presbyterian Preschool is a ministry of Morningside Presbyterian Church and has provided for the educational, physical, social, spiritual and emotional needs of children and families in the community since 2001. The DCM will serve as the staff liaison for this outreach program.
The new Director of Children’s Ministries will partner with parents in rearing their children in the Christian faith, while helping them reach spiritual milestones along the way. This Director will focus on the needs of children from birth through fifth grade. Reporting to Morningside’s Senior Pastor and other talented Morningside staff members and volunteers, the DCM will work to nurture the growing children and family demographic. Integrating the needs of children and their families into Morningside’s larger mission and priorities will be key.
Several key responsibilities include the following:
- Educate children using a creative and engaging Sunday morning curriculum.
- Lead special event programming and other outreach activities for children and families, including Vacation Bible School, annual Christmas Pageant and Easter Egg Hunt, and preschool chapel.
- Identify and retain talented teachers and volunteers.
- Provide training and resources for teachers, volunteers and others engaged in the children’s programs.
- Create meaningful relationships with children and families.
- Smoothly transition children to the youth program.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and creative leader who will develop a program that is theologically rooted and grounded in the Presbyterian reformed faith tradition. This individual exhibits strong personal faith and easily engages with both children and their parents. He/she is able to relate to the growing demands on today’s families. The Director will also bring an innovative and inspiring vision to children’s education and development and has a desire to see children grow in their faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
He/she will be able to select and implement curriculum and programs relevant to each age and stage of children’s development as well as social experiences that connect the children, families and congregation. By harnessing the ideas and energies of parents, volunteers and others, the Director will deliver outstanding programs that generate high participation and enthusiasm.
This person is a great manager of people, schedules and programs, and is able to work well with volunteers, staff and people across the congregation. It is critical that this person is an excellent team player and collaborator with a talented and dedicated senior staff as well as able to work effectively in a self-directed manner. Strong communication skills (includes ability to connect across digital channels, and in one-on-one and group settings) are also important as well as the ability to incorporate others’ ideas. Experience working in a children’s ministry program or other related educational setting is strongly preferred.
A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Christian education or other educational area. A relevant advanced degree is preferred. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, social media programs and online technology. Ordination is not a requirement for the position. Flexible or part-time hours considered.
About Morningside Presbyterian Church
Morningside Presbyterian Church is a lively congregation with deep roots in the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition, active involvement and mission in our local community and beyond, and a wide embrace for all of God’s children. Our members have taken this motto — Welcome All. Serve All. — and we do everything within the power God has given us to live out that aspiration in our church and in our daily lives. When our pastors say from the pulpit "We welcome everyone without reservation," they speak for all of us!
We believe that this loving acceptance — along with intelligent and inspiring preaching, our outstanding music program, and our special attention to children's education and activities — are the elements that have made MPC a thriving and growing congregation. On any given Sunday at Morningside, you will hear the stories of the Bible taught to young children and their voices lifted in song during the worship service. You will find in-depth Bible study that challenges the mind and heart. You will see a congregation of people who care for one another and who reach out to those in need in tangible and collaborative ways. Your worship of God will be enhanced by some of the best music in Atlanta. You will be inspired and encouraged by stirring sermons. Most of all, you will feel the presence of God in the worship, ministry, and mission of this spirited congregation.
This is the Mission Statement of Morningside Presbyterian Church:
We join together as Morningside Presbyterian Church to respond joyfully to God's call in a changing world through worship and study, through sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and through being good stewards of God's gifts. Our community of faith is committed to serving God and neighbor, reflecting our Lord's welcome of all people. Our mission is to address the challenges of this present age with hope, grace, compassion and wisdom.