Children's Ministry Director
As an essential member of the Family Ministry Team, the Director of Children’s Ministry is responsible for inspiring, directing and coordinating the faith development of children (infants through elementary school age). The Director is excited about the Christian faith and has an ability to engage well with children and families to share that faith in a manner that is mutually respectful, supports personal growth, and creates a welcoming environment. The Director also demonstrates strong Christian commitment, high standards in attitude, outlook and morals with an awareness of the importance of being a Christian example.
1. Oversee the health and vitality of the Children’s Ministry, and work with the Family Ministry Team to continue pursuing the mission and goals of Aldersgate UMC for children and families.
2. Responsible for developing a children’s program on Sundays where children feel safe, have fun, and learn about the love and ways of Jesus Christ. This program can be developed according to the gifts and passions of the Children’s Ministry Director and church volunteers.
3. Responsible for providing safe and caring childcare on Sundays during worship service.
4. Recruit, train and supervise volunteer teachers and helpers.
5. Regular communication with parents regarding resources and ministry opportunities that promote the goals of the Children’s Ministry.
6. Work with the Lead Pastor and Family Ministry Team to order curriculum, supplies and resource material needed for all children’s Christian education programs and ministries.
7. Rotate in leading the Children’s Time in Sunday worship services.
8. Monitor Sunday School class rosters, keeping accurate registration records.
9. With assistance from the Family Ministry Team, oversee developmental programs and seasonal events, such as the 3rd Grade Bible Class, 4th Grade Acolyte Training, VBS, Promotion Sunday, and Christmas and Easter events.
10. Coordinate and work with the Youth Ministry Director to develop and execute transitional educational opportunities (i.e., Zero Gravity), following the Stepping Stones of Faith Plan.
11. Responsible to ensure that all children’s ministry volunteers and staff comply with the Safe Sanctuaries and Safe Gatherings policies and procedures.
12. Participate in the Family Ministry Team meetings, Church Staff meetings, Church Council meetings, and other necessary meetings pertinent to the Children’s Ministry.
13. Commit to ongoing professional education in the area of Children’s Ministry.
- Knowledge of current educational curriculum and resources, teaching and learning techniques
- Sound written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Organizational and project management skills
- Leadership skills
- Openness to learning
- A growing knowledge and profession of the Christian faith
- Interest in and love for God’s children of all ages
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Sensitivity to confidential matters of the church
- Ability to navigate the sensitivities of working with parents
- Previous experience as a teacher or administrator in public or private education, or experience in a similar church capacity
- Experience equipping volunteers and parents in nurturing and developing children
- Prior experience in church organization, including understanding of church procedures
- Computer proficiency
Salary & Benefits
$18 - $21
- Vacation days
- Health care
Can be done remote?
- Temporarily remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Aldersgate UMC, Tustin is a dynamic church family with traditional and contemporary worship services that transforms lives to Connect, Grow and Serve the world through the grace and power of Jesus Christ.