Director of Children and Family Ministries
The Director of Children and Family Ministries will manage and oversee all aspects of family, children’s and youth Christian programming. Candidate must relate easily to parents, children, and church members. In consultation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, the Director will recruit, schedule, and supervise staff, including paid and volunteer. Candidate will provide a caring and safe environment for children to grow in faith, and communicate Christian values of acceptance, care, and love.
$25.00/hour; 10 - 15 hours/week
a. Supports and collaborates with Christian Education Ministry and is a pastoral presence to all young families. Christian Education responsibilities and projects include:
1. Weekly Sunday School program, including selection/development of curriculum, teaching, supply acquisition and volunteer recruitment
2. Annual Christmas Pageant during December
3. Family Ministry events, including but not limited to an Advent Series, Family Movie Nights, Parents Night Out programs, etc.
4. Vacation Bible School, including selecting curriculum, gathering supplies, coordinating registration, and recruiting, training, and overseeing volunteers for all aspects of the event
b. Work in the community on outreach programming
c. Supervise and support the work of the childcare staff
d. Plan and implement special programming including activities beyond Sunday School (i.e.Family nights, parent/child Bible study series, etc.)
e. Participate in weekly staff meetings to coordinate with Pastor, lay leaders, and church council regarding children and youth programming
f. Attend meetings of Church Council and other church committees, as appropriate.
g. Be a regular presence at worship on Sunday mornings and lead children’s time
h. Preach on occasion.
i. Provide communication to parents and prospective participants through emails, eNewsletter, website and printed media.
j. Engender support for Children and Youth Ministries from the congregation, in terms of finance and volunteerism.
k. Gather youth on a regular basis.
Minimum High School diploma or GED
Graduate Theological training preferred
Experience in Christian children’s and/or youth ministries
1. Must be 25 years or older
2. Must have current driver’s license
3. Must have reliable transportation
4. Must have cell-phone with text ability
5. Must demonstrate ability to achieve desired outcome of job responsibilities
6. Must pass background check and drug screen
Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions
1. Ability to lift and carry 35 pounds
2. Ability to climb stairs
3. Ability travel for mission and ministry work
4. Ability to collaborate and coordinate with church staff on special projects
Salary & Benefits
$17,000 - $18,000
- Vacation days
- Sick days
Can be done remote?
Walnut United Methodist Church embraces the message of “Inspiring the world as passionate followers of Jesus Christ so all may experience God’s life-giving love.” We are "a church moving forward, growing by believing and doing to transform our beliefs and dreams into action."
Walnut United Methodist Church is part of the world wide United Methodist Church, serving people in Walnut, California, and surrounding communities for nearly 60 years. Our specific congregation is a multiracial, multicultural, and intergenerational congregation that values inclusivity and diversity in all of its forms.We are a welcoming close-knit community who serve God through worship, music, outreach and mission, fellowship, Christian education, Children’s, Youth and Family ministries, caring and nurturing, spiritual growth, uplifting God’s creation, and the Walnut UMC Preschool.