Director of Children (Youth) & Family Ministries
Director of Children (Youth) and Family Ministries
Reports to: Pastor (direct); Staff Parish Relations Committee (secondary)
The Director of Children and Family Ministries will develop and lead educational and ministerial programs for the development of children and families at First UMC of Oak Park as committed disciples of Jesus Christ.
Position is part time, 15-20 hours per week (including nights and weekends) - Salary is $18,000-24,000 depending on experience.
CHILDREN (Youth) and FAMILIES
- In collaboration with the Pastor and Education Committee, sets curriculum and
coordinates all aspects of the Church’s Sunday School program.
- Teaches Sunday School classes for children and/or youth, as needed.
- Ensure the appropriate books and supplies are available and organized for volunteer Sunday School teachers.
- Coordinate use of classrooms used for children and youth programs in consultation with Church Trustees and Church Administrative Assistant.
- Coordinate and supervise Vacation Bible School or other vacation programming each summer.
- Organize special holiday events, including, but not limited to, Christmas and Easter pageants and/or other ways to involve children in observance of these holidays.
- Plan and coordinate special outreach events for children and families.
- In consultation with the Pastor, coordinate as needed and participate in Confirmation and youth classes.
- When requested by the Pastor, prepare and deliver the Children’s Time message during worship services.
- Schedule, prepare and train children to serve as acolytes.
- Schedule and prepare children to serve in worship in other ways, in consultation with the Pastor.
- Coordinate Nursery staff and volunteers. Ensure staff and volunteers adhere to the Safe Gatherings protocol.
- Attend, as opportunities arise, activities in the community that involve children and families of the FUMCOP family (i.e., family, community, and school events).
MEMBERS and VOLUNTEERS
- Recruit and train church members as Sunday School teachers to ensure that the Sunday School program is sufficiently staffed and effectively managed.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled communication and meetings with volunteers and
- Collaborate with Pastor on resourcing Education Committee members.
- Collaborate with Chair of Education Committee to set dates for quarterly meetings and develop meeting agendas and reports.
OUTREACH and NETWORKING
- Identify and plan opportunities to connect children (youth), and their families to the life of the church in worship, mission, and committees.
- Extend community outreach and involvement through social media, list serves and parent groups as well as maintaining updated information on FUMC’s website.
- Plan and participate in outreach activities by networking with community area churches, schools, and other community groups.
- Serve as a resource to church members on issues of Christian education for
children(youth) and families.
- Provide programs and opportunities to support families.
- Attend staff, committee, and church meetings as required by Pastor.
- Perform other duties as deemed appropriate to the position by Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Submit monthly report to Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee summarizing activities, status of projects and assignments, progress towards goals developed with input from the Pastor.
- Attend/participate in continuing Christian education seminars in person or online.
- Must be a professing Christian with evidence of a desire to grow in personal discipleship of Jesus and passion to help others to grow in theirs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, or presently enrolled in college classes.
- Previous experience and/or advanced education in the area of Christian education, particularly with children, youth, and families.
-Familiarity with or willingness to develop proficiency in multi-intelligence theory and the four main types of learning (visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and reading/writing) to be able to craft lessons and experiences to engage diverse learners.
- The adoption and consistent exhibition of Christian values consistent with Methodist teachings and traditions.
Salary & Benefits
$18,000 - $24,000
- Vacation days
Can be done remote?
Our worshiping congregation is a group of people who are diverse in age, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic situation, and religious background. We gather to share the journey we each take in experiencing God and working to make disciples for Jesus Christ.
We worship every Sunday at 10:00 am in an experience that celebrates and glorifies God through prayer, music, praise and the spoken word. Everyone is welcome to join us in person in our sanctuary and online.
At First United Methodist Church of Oak Park, we believe that faith is a journey, a journey shared in a supportive community.