Youth Pastor/Director for Junior High and High School
Job Description: Youth Pastor/Director Horizon Community Church
Junior High and High School
- As a representative of Jesus Christ, integrity in all relationships is to be maintained. The character qualifications as listed in 1 Timothy 3 are an example. Modeling a relationship with Jesus Christ within the church as well as community is expected.
- Create safe, irresistible, life changing environments for High School & Young Adults.
- Demonstrate effectiveness in personal witness and in the implementation of an effective ministry.
- Demonstrate an effectiveness as a disciple maker to the leadership core
- Spiritual giftedness in the areas of leadership & teaching
- A personality of leadership, flexibility, cooperation and servant hood, being self-motivated and willing to work within a team ministry.
- Responsible to the Senior Pastor
- Responsible for all ministry staff (paid & volunteer) in Junior High and High school.
- Coordinate ministry activities with, and cooperate with, other church staff and ministries.
- A servant/leader, who takes good care of your relationship with Jesus Christ, your spouse, your children and then the church.
• Actively pursue an intimate, personal relationship with God in word, prayer and deed.
• Lead and minister to spouse and children as your primary responsibility
1. With Youth: Build disciples who are committed to Jesus Christ, to the church and to the work of Christ in the world. This will involve:
- Staying in touch with the ever-changing youth culture
- Programming that ministers to the youth
- Evangelistic ministry on campuses as permitted
- Developing youth outreach and mission-orientated opportunities
- Spend time with the students weekly on an individual basis, outside of scheduled church activities.
- Coordinate the various youth ministry calendars. Keep families well informed and organized
- Make efforts to involve the students into the church body a as whole, not simply youth group
- Teach in and oversee both the Sunday morning and weekly Youth programs
- Manage the Youth budget
2. With volunteer leadership: To recruit, train and supervise volunteer adult leaders for ministry to the youth
- Provide opportunities for their spiritual growth and identification of their spiritual gifts
- Building them up and assisting them in identifying needs and establishing goals
- Being responsible to their questions regarding Biblical truth and youth culture
- Encouraging them to attend area conferences and trainings
- Meet with your volunteer team on a consistent basis
3. With parents: Build open and honest communication between parents and teens.
- Clearly communicate your youth ministry philosophy, teaching topics, goals and coming activities frequently through on-going meetings or through email/mail
- Be available for personal consultation
- Provide opportunity for training in parent/teen relationships
- Be proactive in relating particular needs or concerns to parents. Collaborate with them in their parenting
4. With church staff, leadership and congregation. Participate in the overall life of the church to gain personal spiritual enrichment and build a closer relationship with God and each other.
a. Time for personal study and prayer aimed at continuing one’s own personal growth
b. Participation in weekly staff meetings and yearly retreats
c. Attendance at regularly scheduled services of church and participating in the leadership roles assigned for that function
d. Participation in youth or leadership conferences for personal enrichment
e. Assisting other pastoral staff as time permits and as one’s gift allows
f. Cooperate with NAB and Nor-Cal churches in areas of networking, etc.
g. Job evaluations will be performed on a yearly basis
- The salary and other benefits will be decided by the elder board within the approved salary. Compensation is reviewed annually by the Elder Board. Vacation benefits, insurance coverage, retirement and other benefits are specified in the Horizon Staff Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Following your 3 month probationary period pending qualification, the Elder Board will license you if you are not already licensed.
Current youth program specifics
- High School Group on Sundays from 4-6pm
- Junior High Group on Tuesdays from 6-8pm
- Junior High Sunday School on Sundays 10:45 service
- Occasional events at school campuses
- Annual winter camp (Friday-Sunday in the month of February)
- Hume Summer Camp (one week in June)
- Mexico Student Trip (one week in July)
- Participation in other big church events like Harvest Carnival, Operation Christmas Child, Night to Shine, etc..
More concerned about a passion for youth ministry than degrees on the wall.
Passion to share Jesus and disciple the next generation
Able to communicate well with students and volunteers
Salary & Benefits
$35,000 - $60,000
- Health care
- Vacation days
- Sick leave
- 401k matching
Can be done remote?
About Horizon Community Church Church
We have a simple mission statement. Love God, Love People, Serve Both.
To build an environment where we can creatively learn how to love God and people with everything we’ve got.
We have a Horizon Code that we have been working through for years, posters on the wall and a yearly sermon on them. They are,
1. We are faith-filled, big thinking, bet-the-farm risk takers. Hebrews 11:6
2. We will honor Christ and His church with Integrity and Authenticity. 1 Peter 2:12, 3:16, Proverbs 11:3, 10:9, 28:6
3. We are all about the “Capital C” Church! Matthew 16:18
4. We will love you where you are but we will not leave you there. John 8:1-11
5. We will laugh hard, loud, and often. Philippians 4:4
6. We always bring our best. 2 Peter 1:3
7. We are Spiritual Contributor’s not Spiritual Consumers. Romans 12:4-8, Matthew 5:14-16
8. We will do anything short of sin to reach people who don’t know Christ. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
9. We will lead the way with irrational giving. 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
10. We will consistently Hold out the Gospel in such a way that people here that we are saved. By Grace Alone, through Faith Alone in Christ Alone. Ephesians 2:8-9
11. We are a Disciple Making & Reproducing Grounded Church. Matthew 28:19-20
The church is 29 years old and I have been here as senior pastor for going on 28 of those years. Every Church is unique in it's own way. One is not better than another, Horizon is just different.
*We are casual in dress (I speak in shorts and a Harley shirt)
*We will preach on every subject and will not shy away from telling the truth of what the bibles teaches on all things.
*We are not 'politically correct' by the worlds definition.
*We speak the truth with boldness and in love.
*My Motto is that "I will do anything short of sin for the kingdom of God." That is why I have a bible study called 'Holy Smoke" at a local cigar bar.
*We are passionate about reaching people with the gospel in creative ways, involving ourselves in the community that we live in.